Every document must have a heading structure. Visually, we can identify by the look of text if it is a heading item. Non-visual users rely on the tags associated with text to identify them.
- Open the Touch Up Reading Order panel
- Select the icon in the top right corner of the Touch Up Reading Order tool to activate the selection tool.
- Fully surround the text you wish to tag, ensuring all letters are selected. (TIP: You may need to encircle an area much larger than just your text in order to successfully select it and it may require more than one attempt)
- Select Heading 1 (or correct heading level) to tag the text element
- The selected text will now show the H1 (or selected heading level) on the text block (NOTE: This is a new feature in Acrobat Pro XI)
Tagging Other Elements
Follow the steps above but instead of selecting a Heading element, select the appropriate item.