Adobe Acrobat contains an Accessibility Toolbox which contains the Accessibility Checker and the Reading Order options box which will aid you in creating an accessible PDF.
To make the Accessibility Toolbox show up on the right-hand column of icons on your Acrobat screen:
- Under the TOOLS tab in the section PROTECT & STANDARDIZE, select ADD (or OPEN if ADD is not an option) under the ACCESSIBILITY ICON.
- There are three main tools in the toolbox that you will use:
- Accessibility Report: to check the accessibility of your full PDF document
- Set Alternative Text: a secondary way to insert alt-text
- Reading Order: Used to set tags for Assistive Technology